Saturday, May 16, 2009

A Liberal in a Republican Family


I am thinking about spinning that title into its own blog, but I don't see my wonderfully conservative family enough to warrant a whole blog. I do spend enough time to give them their own blog posts though. So, here it is.

My family is very Republican. Very. During the election, or shortly right after my little cousin Harrison (who was eight at the time) run up to me at Thanksgiving and said, "Why did you vote for Obama?" and I replied, "I just did." He said all this through watery eyes, like I had just kicked his dog and run over his cat. It would have been on the verge of heartbreaking, if I didn't think that his political views stem from listening to his father talk about how a Republican is the only person who can run this country the proper way. Right after the election and Obama's win, everyday I was at the family farm for Thanksgiving, I had to defend Obama and his "plans" for the next year. It was so damn annoying. I am not Obama's PR guy. I do not have to defend him. I voted for him, and so did millions of other Americans who thought he was a better candidate than McCain.

So, for this trip to the family farm in Michigan I embraced my Republican side. I didn't have a sweatshirt (I had only brought J.Crew sweaters) so I put one my mom took from my grandpa. See Picture below. I went out and my uncles and cousins and I shot some skeet.
I was not bad, but I certainly am not going to win any marksmen contests.

No comments: