Thursday, June 4, 2009

Not how I wanted to start my day

Getting a phone call on my way into work is not how I wanted to start my day. It was from our office manager. But I am getting ahead of myself. Let me start from the beginning. I was asked to set up a conference call with four of our employees and the vendors in South Africa who are supplying us with footage for a show. So, I set up the call with our employees but was never told who to contact over seas.
So the call was to take place this morning. I sent an email to my boss yesterday asking a list of questions, most importantly who in South Africa I was suppose to invite to the conference call. Well, once I got his reply it turned into a whole mess.
Our new conference bridge phone number, doesn't have an international call in line. So I had to use the old bridge number. Which I don't have because it was in the office in my desk. Did i forget to mention that I was reminding people and inviting them to the call at 8 oclock at night. So, basically, what happened was I typed the wrong phone number for my employees but I sent out the right international one to the vendors. So at least I don't look stupid to the South Africans. But to my employees I look like a fool. So needless to say, all of them had to call the office and get the right number and I sent out an apology for fucking up. I get a reply from my boss. The big boss. The big cheese. "You and I need to discuss attention to detail overall."

That was not the response I was hoping for, but the one most deserving I am sure. Yes, I have messed up but I am only human. I never claimed to walk on water. This is so not how I wanted to start my day. So, now I am freaking out and don't know what to think. Is he really angry? Will he fire me over this? I am on the verge of a total panic attack i tell you. I need to calm down.


UPDATE:
So my boss never did yell at me yesterday. But that doesn't mean he has forgotten. Also, when I woke up today I had an email from one of our producers I booked hotel and flights for last week. Turns out, I booked his returning flight two days before he was actually going to need. Needless to say, when he got to the airport there was no reservation for him. Shit.

No comments: